Furniture Refinishing

Furniture Refinishing
Call Today 815/795-3417

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hand Stripping verses Dipping Tanks

Will dipping my furniture ruin it?
People often ask if I use dip tanks, because they are worried that I might ruin their furniture. This is a very good question. Usually it is customers that have vintage antiques. I do not have any dipping tanks and I do not use any power washing. I strip everything by hand only. My opinion is that these methods can ruin the patina, and therefore the value of old antiques. Dip tanks can loosen glue joints and make veneers come loose. Some refinishers use power washers after soaking in dip tanks to wash off all the residue, but this can raise the wood grain, and tear up soft woods, which will have to be sanded smooth prior to staining and finishing. Now I am the first person to tell you that certain pieces will be less expensive to dip, than to strip by hand, which is the way I do it. This would include painted trim, painted doors that have no glue joints, and any piece without veneers. The way I do it, has more work involved, takes a little longer and cost a little more, but will preserve the integrity of the furniture at hand. Just keep in mind that even though dipping, is a less expensive way to strip your furniture, you will most likely have to pay more to have it sanded, re glued, and prepared to accept stains and a finishes. Sometimes, joints will have to be glued, and the wood will have to be sanded. All these procedures will take the aging patina effects out of your old antiques. I often tell my customers, that if someone tells them they are going to sand their vintage antique, to find another re-finisher to do the job. I do not sand a piece unless there is absolutely no other option. Sometimes we refinishers do not have a choice and then sanding is ok. But I like to save that option as a last resort. If you don't care about the pieces value, then I would say go for it and save a few bucks. I have had customers bring me furniture that has been dipped and power washed. Wow, what a job to bring it back to life. I was not surprised how much work I had to do to bring them back to original look. Sometimes pieces only need a cleaning, touchups, or refurbishing, and not a complete refinishing job. So talk to your favorite refinisher. If you do not feel comfortable with what he tells you, ask to talk to a few of their references. Again the above statements are just my opinion, and I am sure that other refinishers out there will see it differently than me, especially if they dip their client’s pieces. Like I said earlier, there are some legitimate reasons for dipping and it is not always a bad thing. Use your own judgment and proceed with caution………Dave’s Touch-Ups, Inc. 815-795-3417

No comments: